Tuesday, August 10, 2010

For My Friend, Alex


Yesterday was a very tough day for me. I unfortunately got the news that my friend, Alex, passed away yesterday morning after a battle with cancer. He was about to turn 17. I met him last year at Camp Adventure, a summer camp in shelter island for cancer patients and siblings. i've been going since i was 6; my sister is a cancer survivor who was diagnosed when she was 7. Alex was a new camper, and was in remission. He was a great friend. We both shared a love for baseball and the New York Yankees, and i was so jealous that he got to meet the players and get autographs. He always, always smiled. A few months after camp, he told me that he relapsed, and that he needed a bone marrow transplant. For months i tried to contact him with no success; he was sick and in the hospital. I was shocked when i learned of his passing yesterday, and I'm still very upset. Cancer is something that hits home for me. It's the only thing i can say that i hate with all of my heart. To lose a friend is awful, but to lose a friend to cancer is more difficult for me and the friends that I have at camp who have dealt with cancer in their own lives. I wish Alex's family the best. I hope Alex is still hitting home runs in heaven. I'm really going to miss him and i regret that i was not able to visit him or contact him over the last few months. Alex, you will forever be in my heart. You lived a short life, but I will always remember you.

From Left To Right: Carolyn, Clarie(Cancer Survivor), Me, and Alex
At Camp Adventure on Shelter Island, NY




Incredible people like Alex, and my baby sister's friend Ben, who passed away due to his cancer a few months ago, do not deserve to die this young. They battled until the end and i will be inspired by them and I will never forget them.
I'm just very upset and I won't be blogging for awhile. i'm going to this very camp on friday until the 20th, so there i will be able to mourn with the people that knew him and have the same pain.
Rest in Peace Alex Mele, and Benjamin.

No comments:

Post a Comment